What I Hope My Children Learn About Work

 


As a founder, I've spent years thinking about work.

Building teams.

Supporting clients.

Growing a company.

But becoming a mother has changed the way I think about success.

When I look at my son and daughter, I don't find myself hoping they'll have the highest-paying job or the most impressive title.

I hope they find work that gives them purpose.

I hope they understand that success is not just about what you earn.

It's about the impact you have on other people.

I hope they learn the value of showing up when things are hard.

Of keeping their word.

Of treating people with kindness and respect, regardless of their position or title.

I hope they understand that no job is beneath them and that every person deserves dignity.

I hope they learn to work hard, but I also hope they learn that their worth is not defined by productivity alone.

The world will always tell them to do more, achieve more, and become more.

I hope they remember that being a good person matters just as much as being successful.

I hope they stay curious.

I hope they continue learning.

I hope they have the courage to take risks and the resilience to keep going when things don't go as planned.

Most of all, I hope they understand that opportunities are a privilege.

Not everyone gets the same starting point in life.

I've seen firsthand how education, hard work, and a single opportunity can change the trajectory of a family.

I hope they never take that for granted.

If one day my children remember anything about my journey as a founder, I hope it's not the company I built.

I hope it's the values behind it.

Work hard.

Stay humble.

Be kind.

Help others when you can.

And never forget where you came from.

To me, that's a life worth building.


— Nikita Mercado  
Founder, Konektao

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did not understand the true weight of healthcare until I started building a company with Filipino talent

Founder in the Chaotic Middle, as a Mother

When It Stops Feeling Exciting